Monday, November 18, 2019

The 34 Year Wait Is Over (Evil Seed, Shadow Weaver, Evil Lyn)

One thing I get so sick of hearing is that the Masters Of The Universe cartoon was nothing but a 30 toy commercial. I have to call bull****. In fact, I kind of wish it had been, because then I wouldn't have had to wait 34 years to get my hands on these figures! Most of the toys didn't appear in the show, and most of the characters from the show didn't have a toy, something that's always irritated me. But thanks to Super 7's retro line, we finally get some of the figures we missed out on.

I had to take my father-in-law down to Portland today for a doctor's appointment, which gave me the opportunity to check out Newbury Comics and see if they got in the new set of MOTU figures. Yes, I'll be back down in a few days for the Toy Fest at the mall, but I've been waiting 34 years for these damn figures and I didn't want to risk not getting my hands on them. The pegs were full of Masters, and it felt like 1985 all over again.

Right away I spotted Evil Lyn, the way she looked in the cartoon. It always bothered me that her figure made her look like one of the Simpsons. What was up with the yellow skin? And where was her cape? And why was her headdress/crown thingy so little? When I was a kid, I actually thought my Evil Lyn figure was discolored. One of the first custom figures I ever did was a repaint of her, making her look like she did on screen, but there's nothing like having the real thing. Finally.

I flipped through the pegs of figures, in search of the others in the set but figuring they'd be gone already. And then I came across Evil Seed, one of my all time favorite villains from the cartoon. Had it actually been a half hour toy advertisement, surely we would have gotten an Evil Seed, even if he was only in one episode. When he popped up in the 200x cartoon, he was even cooler than before, not that it was much of a feat considering he looked like a radish who stole the robe off a monk but it made me want a figure of him even more.

The two evil ones would have to do, there was no way I'd find... last peg, fourth figure in, Shadow freakin' Weaver! Thirty minute toy ad my ass, she was in almost every episode of She-Ra, Hordak's second in command, yet, no figure. One of my earliest childhood memories is going into a pharmacy with my mom and seeing a huge display of Princess Of Power and Horde figures. I think that moment set me back in my potty training. It was awesome but I was so disappointed that Shadow Weaver was already gone, but why wasn't she shown on the back of the cards of the figures I got? Well, because they never made her. One of the most quintessential characters, excluded, until now. The Horde may not be complete, we're still waiting on you Scorpia, but we're one step closer.

At $25 a piece, they're a bit pricey, damn you Newbury and your jacked up prices, but I've literally been waiting 34 years for these figures, so I can deal with an extra $5 a piece. I have so much trouble opening action figures, but these ladies, and radish head, have been waiting to join their friends for three decades, so I'll be letting them breathe. Finally, the wait is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment